Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tag, I am it!

I got tagged by John Proc, the Lord of Chainrings himself. That was long time ago, but I am very lazy when it comes to updating my blog. In my defense, I was down with flu for quite a while and I did not have much energy left.

So, here are a few things about myself that you probably did not know about:

1. I grew up in a small village (500 houses) in Romania, during Ceausescu's communist regime. Contrary to what people think in North America, life in Romania during Ceausescu's communist regime was not that bad. We were poor, but we were not starving and the police would not make you any troubles unless you were directly confronting them. And as a kid, life was actually very good. I had probably over 20 good friends with whom I'd play soccer daily for many hours. I had free time in abundance, there were no schedules and not many rules to follow. In a way, my kids today do not have the freedom that I had when I was their age.

2. I met my future wife, Mihaela (Miha for short) in 1996, in university, when I was living in the campus. I have the fondest memories of that time. I was really skinny at that time and I was really frustrated by it. Miha, on the other hand, was, and still is, really good looking. For some unknown reason she took interest in me. She says that she appreciated my kindest at that time. It seems that I lost that kindest in the meanwhile, according to Miha. I am working on getting it back.

3. I've never had a problem gaining weight. On the contrary, when I was 23 years old and Miha met me, I had 57 Kg (125 pounds) and not because I was watching my diet, or because I was starving. I was skinny because of my metabolism.  By the way, I was at that time (and still am) 5'10" (1,78 cm) tall. Now I weigh 73 Kg (160 pounds), which is the most I have ever weighed in my life. I used to hate being not able to gain weight. Now I am grateful for it.

4. I am a software developer and I love it. First time I saw a computer it was in high school and after 5 minutes looking at it I knew what I want to become when I grow up. Luckily, my profession was, and still is, in very high demand and it is quite well paid, especially if you are a consultant.

5. I am geek and I fit the profile. I really love Star Trek, Matrix and I wear glasses. I am 37 years old now (my birthday is in 2 weeks from now - Dec. 14) and to my disappointment I'm starting to lose interest in geek related things. I used to know all the hidden codes for the Nokia phones. Now all I I know about my cell phone is how to access its address book.

6. I love drinking. Actually, I love the effects of drinking more than drinking itself. And I hate the hangovers. That's probably because I usually pay dearly for my nights of debauchery with a really bad hangover the next day. I always say though that it was well worth the price.

7. I love people who are not "politically correct". I guess that's why Training Payne is my favorite blog of all times. I usually try not to offend people (contrary to what Miha thinks) but I find it very hard to talk to people who are easily offended. And somehow I end up offending them anyway. Maybe Miha is right. Hey, you can take the boy from the village but you cannot take the village from the boy.

Here are a couple of pictures from when I was young and restless.

That's me, on the right. 125 pounds. And that's Miha. And the other two guys are my room mates in the campus.


And here's our wedding, 11 years ago:
 

That's pretty much it. Have a good one folks and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome - thanks for posting this!

    I didn't realize we had so much in common! Im' an IT Geek as well, Matrix is the best movie ever! :)
    And I married a Romanian chick too (although she is not from the 'old country' lol).

    Romanian chicks are hot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I did not know that Fran is Romanian, too. That's awesome.

    I completely agree, Romanian chicks are hot!!

    ReplyDelete