Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kids of Steel

Enough about me (for the moment being). Today's post is about Maria and Stefan, our KOS (kids of steel) children. Maria is 6 1/2 years old and Stefan is going to be 5 next month. They could not be more different. If I were to describe them in 3 words, here's what I'd say:
Maria: competitive, smart, annoying
Stefan: charming, confident, laid-back

I guess that Maria is more like me and Stefan is more like the mail man, or one of our neighbors. Ha-ha. He's just different, in a good way. He'll probably not be very good at school, but he'll not have self-esteem problems like Miha and I had. Maria, on the other hand, might have self-esteem problems, but she will be the first in her class and probably be a podium triathlete.

As much as I'd like to take credit for our awesome kids (and if you know me, you know that I like to take all the credit all the time), there's not much that I did. If you ask Miha, she'd say that there's nothing that I did beside being there (our bedroom) 9 months before our kids were born. Hey, being there, is not as easy as you might think. It is actually easier. Ha-ha. Miha, one of the best mom there is,  on the other hand, did a very good job raising our kids. But, mainly, we were just plain lucky.

Maria and Stefan participated in a few races in in the last 3 years. Below are a few pictures about these races. They say that a picture is worth 10,000 words, so I am adding a lots of pictures because I am not good with words.


The year of 2008
Maria - Orillia Kids of Steels- August 2008


The Iron Family - Orillia Kids of Steels- August 2008

The Iron Family - Orillia Kids of Steels- August 2008



The year of 2009
Peterborough YMCA Kids 1K Fun Run - February 2009


Maria - TriKids Mississauga - June 2009

The Iron Family  - Tri Kids Oakville - July 2009

The Iron Family  - Tri Kids Oakville - July 2009

The Iron Family  - Tri Kids Oakville - July 2009

Stefan - KOS Beaches - September 2009

 Stefan - KOS Beaches - September 2009

Tudor, Stefan, Andrea, Maria - KOS Beaches - September 2009


The year of 2010
East End Kids Of Steel Triathlon - June 2010 



TRi KiDS Oakville - July 2010

TRi KiDS Oakville - July 2010

TRi KiDS Oakville - July 2010

TRi KiDS Oakville - July 2010

Beaches KOS Duathlon - September 2010


Beaches KOS Duathlon - September 2010 - with friends


8 comments:

  1. Great post! My wife and I are considering having kids and I am constantly wondering if I will be able to maintain my Ironman racing and still be a good dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,

    Nice website - www.tritopics.com . I just listened to your "All about the host" podcast and it reminded me of my first sprint triathlon in 2007. I had the same "never, ever do this again" thought, but in my case it was during the swim because I was (and still am) a lousy swimmer. Anyway, crossing the finish line made forget about how hard the swim was and all could think of was when I can I register for my next race :-).

    Both my wife and I are able to train for our triathlons while raising our kids but we are recreational athletes and we do not train much, like some of my friends do. My typical week of training is in average 6-7 hours, and probably 9-10 hours in the month leading to my A race. Also, my wife is a stay-at-home mom and this makes things much easier when it comes to time management.

    My advice is to have kids sooner rather than later. I know, it's easier said then done. It might affect your Ironman racing in the first couple of years but after that you should be able to find a routine and do both very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doru! Thankou so much for following my blog. Now I've found yours and have followed you back and I look forward to catching up on your posts.

    You have a beautiful family! Hoepfully I will meet you in person at HOP beer run 2011. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Adena! HOP Beer Run is my number 1 race for 2011 :-) so we’ll meet there. My no. 2 race is Muskoka 70.3. I also plan to do lots of shorter races across the GTA so there’s a good chance that we’ll meet sooner than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a post, Doru! It's great to see pics of family doing what most of us love to do.

    My girls are 5 and 7 and are "in training" for their first triathlon next summer. I'll show them your post tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Derek!

    Since we started doing triathlons, in the summer of 2007, we took our kids with us at all our races. They’ve always liked watching us racing and in time they wanted to participate, too.
    Some kids races are quite fun and all the kids love them. I am sure that your girls, especially now that they saw you training and racing, we’ll enjoy the kids triathlons as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. The kids are cute. Teaching them athletics this early in life is a great thing for them.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kevin!

    By the way, I've just read your blog and I almost was almost sure that your college picture was photoshoped. Then I saw you comment which confirmed my suspicion. That was a good one :-).

    ReplyDelete