Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ironman Lake Placid - the evening before the race




Tomorrow is going to be the big day: my first full Ironman. I have a feeling that I am going to have a good race. The weather channel says that is going be 23 degrees Celsius and scattered showers, which is not bad at all for Lake Placid.

Even though I haven’t trained as much as I’d have liked to, I am in the best shape of my life. I feel ready and eager to start, which is a good sign. I am a little bit scared of the mass swim start though. I am not a good swimmer but I was lucky enough to have my fastest swim time ever two days ago on the official swim course: 38:20 min for 1.2 miles, more than 2 minutes better than my previous record. The PR came at the perfect time to boost my confidence.

My main goal for tomorrow is to finish in one piece. Ideally I’d like to finish in under 12:30 hours, which should be doable: 1:25 h for the swim, 10 min for T1, 6 h for the bike leg, 5 min for T2 and 4:50 for the run leg. If I have a really, really good day I might even finish in just under 12 hours.

Here are a few stats about the 2010 Ironman Lake Placid:
 - There are 2999 athletes registered for tomorrow's race. Of those athletes, 705 (23.5%) are women.
 - The most-represented country is the United States, with 2,429. Canada is next with 507 athletes.
 - There are 908 athletes doing their first Ironman on Sunday.
 - The youngest competitor, Joe Benun, is celebrating his 18 years birthday today. The oldest competitor, Lyle Roberts, from Burlington, Iowa, is 79. He's doing his 18th Ironman on Sunday - his last Ironman was in Hawaii two years ago, when he finished in just over 16 hours.

That’s pretty much it. I am going to watch now Up in the Air movie that we just rented, drink a beer in order to relax and then go to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. what an awesome race! way to go! you should be proud of a crazy awesome result! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete