Saturday, May 8, 2010

Swimming PR







Today I had a fast swim. Now fast is a relative term, so don’t get your expectations high thinking about Olympic fast. Actually my swim is really slow even when it is fast. Back to my today’s swim. I managed to swim 20x100m, with 30 seconds breaks between laps, in 40:10 minutes. My fastest 100m lap was 1:52 min. That’s a big improvement for me. I usually swim 100 m in 2:10 – 2:15 minutes, but today for some reason I managed to swim it in 2 minutes.

At my first triathlon in 2007 – Bala Falls Give-it-a-tri Triathlon – I swam 400 meters in 13 minutes, with an average of 3:15 min / 100 m. Because I did not do any training in 2007 and 2008, at my next triathlons my pace was between 3:05 and 3:21 min/100m and all of them were give-it-a-tris, with only 400 meters of swimming.

In 2009 I slowly started training regularly. My first long swim consisted of one mile that I managed to finish in exactly one hour, which means an average pace of 3:44 min/100m. After that my left shoulder hurt for about two weeks. Until then I had never swum for more than 400 meters. I quickly started to improve my times with an all high record of 2 Km, with no stops, in 42:53 min – 2:06 min/100m. My best open water swim was at Muskoka Ironman 70.3 in September 2009, where I managed to finish the 1.2 miles in 43:38 min – 2:16 min /km. After Muskoka, I kind of stopped training. I started again in February and to my dismay my average lap time was around 2:20 min.

I still have more than two and a half months left until Ironman Lake Placid. My goal is to finish the 2.4 miles in 1:20 hours, which means that I have to keep a pace of 2:04 per 100 meters. My problem is that I have never swum longer than 2K so far and I have no clue what my time is for 4K or if I am able to swim continuously for 4K. Plus Lake Placid has a mass swim start, where about 2,300 athletes start swimming in the same time. That’s scary!!!

2 comments:

  1. God improvement and great effort! The swim is only as scary as we let it be! Put in the miles and like me, we will get through it! Cheers and Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John for your encouragements. I am really determined to put in the miles and I know that sooner rather than later I’ll achieve my goal to swim 4K in under 80 minutes.
    By the way, you are the first person to comment on my blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete