Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting ready for Mississauga marathon


Today I had my last long run before the Mississauga marathon. I managed to keep 4:30 min/km for 18Km without using all my energy. Ideally, on Sunday I hope to finish the marathon in under 3:15 hours (4:37 min/km) and qualify to Boston Marathon. I know that I can keep this pace for 30 Km because I did it at Around the Bay race in March. The problem is that after 30Km I did not have any energy left in me. My worry is that the history will repeat itself and I’ll bonk during the second half of the race. That happened at my first, and only one so far, marathon – Toronto Marathon 2009. I did the first 21K in 1:49 hours, which was a good time for me at that time. Then, around 23Km into the race, my left knee started to hurt badly. I had to walk for about 10Km or so, until I decided that whatever it happens I am going to force myself and finish the last 9Km running. The first 2K were really painful and I thought that I’ll damage my knee, but I kept pushing and after that the pain went away and I managed to finish the race strong. My time for the second half of the race was 2:34 hours, 45 minutes longer then the first half.

My plan B for Sunday is to finish in under 3:30 hours. I got to admit that my plan A is more of a wishful thinking sort of thing. I’ll be very happy if I reach my plan B goal. I have plenty of time to qualify to Boston and I am sure that sooner rather than later I’ll be good enough to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment